Monday, February 7, 2011

invitation: inspiration

Whimsical. Bold. Hand-lettered. Vivid. Cut paper. Preppy patterns. Negative space. Unusual. My tastes in invitations are no shrinking violet.

In preparation for designing our invitation suite, I gathered all the images I'd pooled during our long engagement in search of similarities in style and color. Anything to help synthesize what felt like disjointed ideas into something coherent!

Here's a collection of inspiring invitations that speak to my artistic soul:


Bold, summery invites from ohsobeautifulpaper.com

I could eat up the pattern on the Save the Date. Digging the trio of colors for the invitation suite. Hand-stamped program covers and table numbers are a more affordable way to achieve the letterpress look. And yellow!!

Rifle Paper Co.

I heart Rifle Paper Co big time. Everything I swoon over is encompassed in their designs. Did you see Miss Ostrich's awesome invites? I'm totally jellie Miss O!


Howard Photography via StyleMePretty.com

More of the same. Whimsical hand-lettered programs and napkins in yellow. Simple and bold. Love the white inked napkins.

Love Jenna

Green, green, green! Okay, maybe I'm not over green just yet. This suite actually has a clear overlay with the white ink flourishes and hand-lettered script. So yummy!

"Fracas" - Minted.com

Leaning more toward the preppy side with a bold chevron. Straightforward and clean. Maybe a little too crisp...

"Summer Sun" - Minted.com

Still a preppy but more playful. Like the first invite, I like how the designer mixed up the suite with different colors for each piece.




source

One of the very early favorites, but no longer matches our aesthetic. I love how the paper elements were different but still related to each other. Favorite piece is the RSVP card with the yellow zigzags and simple typography!

Now that I've set the bar so unreachably high, it's time to tackle the DIY design of our invitations. Which has turned out to be a more daunting task than I imagined. Apparently perfectionism doesn't mix well with paralysis. (Miss EB, you are totally speaking my language!) I thought I kicked my "procrastinistic perfectionist" habit in college, but it returned with a vengeance this weekend.

What style of invitations are you drawn to?

No comments:

Post a Comment