Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Matchmaker, matchmaker

Do you remember taking those teen magazine quizzes? Most of us probably did at least once or twice, right? Please tell me I'm not the only dork who thought it was fun! And who didn't look forward to Psych 101? It was one of the more interesting freshman level offerings.

(I remember buying this one.)

Now we're a little old to buy teen magazines... so I've got a new quiz for you to try, no teenybopper magazine required. It's a personality assessment that looks at your psychological preferences for decision-making. Out of 16 possible results (or "types"), it reveals commonalities within the type for "language use, intellectual orientation, educational and vocational interests, social orientation, self image, personal values, social roles, and characteristic hand gestures." But it's more fun to find out how two personalities match up. If you've ever wondered why some people irritate the hell out of each other or are two peas in a pod, give it a try.

Oh, there's plenty!

Find me a find, catch me a catch (our results):

Mr. P is an ENTP (extrovert, intuitive, thinking, perceiver), which is just fancy talk for he likes being around people, favors insights and theoretical thinking, decides in a consistent way, and likes to keep his options open in case something better comes along. ENTPs (or Inventors) make up 2-5% of the population so it's one of the less common types.

source

Anyone who knows him would agree with this description:
Quick, ingenious, stimulating, alert, and outspoken. Resourceful in solving new and challenging problems. Adept at generating conceptual possibilities and then analyzing them strategically. Good at reading other people. Bored by routine, will seldom do the same thing the same way, apt to turn to one new interest after another.
I'm an ENFJ (extrovert, intuitive, feeling, judger), which is similar to Mr. P except I prefer to take things on a case-by-case basis and like to plan things in advance, as soon as possible please. ENFJs (or Teachers) also make up 2-5% of the population.

source
Warm, empathetic, responsive, and responsible. Highly attuned to the emotions, needs, and motivations of others. Find potential in everyone, want to help others fulfill their potential. May act as catalysts for individual and group growth. Loyal, responsive to praise and criticism. Sociable, facilitate others in a group, and provide inspiring leadership.
I have already seen our personality differences come up in wedding planning, or planning in general. He is far more laid back than I am. I'm the one planning weeks, months, sometimes years in advance. (Days in advance is for amateurs.) This would be the J/P battling it out. Case in point: Yes, we need to decide on an officiant now or we'll have to ordain the neighborhood bartender.

What about compatibility between our types?
ENTP most compatible with: INTP, ENTP, INFJ, ENFJ
ENFJ most compatible with: ENFJ, INFJ, ENTP, INTP

(And just for laughs, this write-up is a hoot. Our personality titles are "cult leader" [me] and "mad scientist" [him].)

So, what's your type? And if you kindly asked your sweetie to take the test, what was the result?

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I totally remember buying this too! I think I still have it. I'm a sucker for personality quizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, always been interested in personality-related things. I once coerced 30+ friends (in high school) to take the MBTI to see how the types were distributed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I'm an ENFJ, too!

    ReplyDelete